Thursday, April 2, 2009

OC's Marketing Masterminds - OC Metro

Check out the April Edition of OC METRO


Marketing Masterminds, continued ...

Ed Lee and Ed Santos are the creative minds behind the Wahoo's Then – Now – Forever campaign, featuring restaurant regulars who span the ages. Each ad evokes a cool, urban vibe with the use of color and black-and-white images. It’s just as fun to see the old-timers as it is the newcomers.

• Ed Lee
Wahoo’s Fish Taco co-founder and forward planner

WHAT YOU LIKE MOST ABOUT WAHOO’S FISH TACO’S THE THEN – NOW – FOREVER CAMPAIGN: I really like that the campaign was a reflection of our 20-year milestone. Looking back, Wahoo’s loyalty to quality food at a good value has remained the core concept. It is this concept that has helped us to connect with the community and keep die-hard customers. The Then – Now – Forever campaign was just a way to thank our customers for two decades of fun.

WHAT YOU LIKE MOST ABOUT YOUR JOB: Every day is different. In my current role as future planner, I have the opportunity to work on a number of aspects of the company: marketing, the remodeling of a restaurant, fundraisers, visiting restaurants, etc. I also like that Wahoo’s is still immersed in the surf industry. It’s not all about the restaurant; we get to be a part of some really cool surfing and other action sport events, where I basically get to hang out with my friends.

FAVORITE TV COMMERCIAL AND WHY: I love the Corona commercials, especially a recent one where a cell phone loses battery power. Corona has done such a great job of marketing the idea of escaping and relaxing. They don’t have to say anything, and people just get it.

FUNNIEST JOKE YOU KNOW (but keep it clean): I think the funniest joke is when someone asks you if you know any good jokes and you just turn and say no. The look on their face is classic!


• Ed Santos
Wahoo’s Fish Taco marketing director

WHAT YOU LIKE MOST ABOUT THE THEN – NOW – FOREVER CAMPAIGN: It shows real Wahoo’s customers sharing their real lives. It also reflects the realness and simplicity of the food. It was only natural to include real customers in the campaign; they helped Wahoo’s achieve the success it enjoys today.

WHAT YOU LIKE MOST ABOUT YOUR JOB: I have the freedom to create good things, things that I am proud of.

FAVORITE TV COMMERCIAL AND WHY: The Geico Caveman commercial. It’s so stupid, it’s funny.

FUNNIEST JOKE YOU KNOW (but keep it clean): Everyone tells me, “Hey, it’s the ’80s,” and “The mullet is back.” I just say, “Really, when did it leave? Where did it go?”

click here to see more!

2 comments:

MaryAnne Wendt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MaryAnne Wendt said...

typo.. I'll try again... I have this issue! I saw your pic and was like, "hey he looks familiar!" --Congrats!